Monday, October 08, 2007

The Lord's Supper
Yesterday, I think I had one of "those moments". I think you might know what I mean, moments that come around to help you get a glimpse of what the ministry is all about. I mentioned to Trisha that every church member should get to sit where I sit sometimes and take a good look at this part of the body of Christ. Yesterday, I got to see each of these folks passing the bread and the cup to one another. The plates passed between family members, from the old to the young and back, from the poor to the the well-off--each person a loved member of the family of God. It overwhelmed me for a moment, and I breathed a hopeful prayer that each person I saw got what they needed. I did.

I was reminded of that ending scene in "Places In The Heart". Everyone was in church passing the Lord's Supper to each other. This scene gets a bit unusual as the plate is passed down a row that includes a man who was killed and a man who killed him. The message: even if there is not room in your heart for another, there is room at the Lord's table for all. Paul told Timothy, "If we are faithless, he remains faithful--for he cannot deny himself." (2 Tim 2:13) The little boy in the movie said, "The peace of Christ." I say Amen.

No comments: