Friday, February 07, 2014

A free recipe for you

Chip’s Promethean Lentil Soup
Quite often I cook by the seat of my pants—ew.  I mean I improvise as I go and can create a dish without a recipe.  Sometimes it works out.  My wife HATES this.  She might say recipes, like rules, are meant to be followed.  Therefore my managing to come up with something edible could be equated with stealing fire from the gods.

This was some really good soup, though, prompting me to take the time to write out what I did in order to share the goodness with the whole world.  Part of the credit goes to cooking it for several hours.  So, if you’ve got the time, give it a shot or adapt it to your slow cooker if you’ve got somewhere to be.

1 med. onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
4 carrots, sliced
2 Tbs. olive oil
½ tsp. salt
In a large pot, sauté onion, celery and carrots in olive oil.

Add spices…
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. coriander
2 tsp. cumin
½ tsp. white pepper
½ tsp. crushed red pepper flake
1 or 2 tsp. salt

Add liquids…
4 cups of water
4 cups of chicken broth
Bring to a boil, then simmer at least 30 minutes.  My batch was simmering for 4 hours.

OK, lentil time.  Add...
1 cup of dried lentils
Simmer for 30 minutes.

Add…
2 cups of egg noodles.

Simmer 10-15 more minutes until noodles are done.  Serve garnished with parmesan cheese.

No comments: