Thursday, August 22, 2013

Stories I Can't Tell Without Crying--Part II

A long, long time ago, in 1980...

One scene of the Dukes of Hazzard had me crying my eyes out.  If you're feeling up to it, ask me to tell you the story, and we'll cry together.

Not too long ago, I checked the TV listings and the Duke boys were going to be on CMT, and what should the episode be? "The Ghost of General Lee".  I set the DVR.

Once I had the recording, I introduced Trisha to this part of my history.  "Sweetie, I am about to show you one of the most poignant moments in television."  I also told her about not being able to tell the story without crying.

If you want to watch it, "The Ghost of General Lee" is season 2, episode 6.  I don't have my DVR anymore (guess I could shed another tear), so you'll have to buy it somewhere or keep a close eye on CMT's schedule.

Here's the story.

Bo and Luke parked the General Lee by a pond and went skinny dipping.  While they were swimming, some pool hustlers in need of a getaway car stole the General Lee.  In a rare plot twist, the Hazzard County Sheriff's Department began to chase that orange race car for no apparent reason.  So while they thought they had an easy ride out of Hazzard, two white patrol cars fell in behind them.  Roscoe P. Coletrane and his deputy Enos were in "hot pursuit"!

The chase ended when the pool hustlers crashed the General Lee into the pond.  The race car with no windows sank fast.  Roscoe and Enos caught up quickly.  Enos ran straight to the water and dove in.  Roscoe radioed for help.

Enos surfaced clutching some of Bo and Luke's clothes.  In tremendous desperation he called out to Roscoe, "Sheriff, you gotta help me! Help me find 'em!"

"I can't, Enos," Roscoe replied soberly, "I can't swim."

33 years later and I cry every time.

No comments: