Thursday, May 24, 2012

Do it for Phil Coulson!

OK, so I was a couple weeks late seeing The Avengers, but as soon as school was out, my 11 year old and I hit the theater.  We saw the movie in IMAX 3D, a splurge for making the the A honor roll--him, not me.  So that made the movie even more awesomer (yeah, I know it's not a word).

There were plenty of good lines, too.  Here are a couple of my favorites:
"Target: angry!"
"You might want to clench up there, Legolas."  (With all due respect to the A honor roll types sitting near me, I think I was the only one in the theater who laughed at that one.)

Now here's the one that I had to think about for a second.  Loki has mortally wounded Agent Coulson, the Les Nessman of the Avengers Initiative.  As he lay there dying, Nick Fury gives him the "please don't go, please don't die" stuff, and Coulson, with his last breath says, "This has to happen.  Without it what will they have to..." and then he dies.

"What will they have to" what?  I thought it a second before A Honor Roll asked me.  AVENGE!  Oh! Avenge!  What will the Avengers have to avenge!!

Cool move.  If Loki had killed Nick Fury, Iron Man or even Captain America it wouldn't have united the heroes against their enemy.  But go picking in the every-man, and you're in some deep trouble, my friend.  That's what makes heroes.  It's not the suit or the powers or the multi-billion dollar flying aircraft carrier.  It's the determination to stand up and fight for the innocent, to speak up for those without a voice, to fly for all of us who seem to be stuck on the ground.

You know what, people?  We each can be a hero, and we all can work together to make a difference in our world.  It really is possible.  Make the determination that we are going to see the end of suffering--the hungry fed, oppressed set free, good news preached to the poor, and so on.  Make that determination to do something about it.  With God's help we can.  It's hero time.

1 comment:

JEarl said...

So easy to say "What's the use"...thanks for reminding us that it is always time for "heros". Earl